Clove is commonly used in India and is known as Lavanga or `Launga`. It is used for preparation of food and medicinal uses, right to the point of taking it orally. Clove is one of the oldest essential oils. Traditionally used for toothaches, it approved by the American Dental Association as an anesthetic. Because it is very strengthening to the musculature, it has been traditionally recommended that expectant mothers consume cloves in the last month of pregnancy to tone the uterus and prepare it for the birth pro dilution. It was an important commodity in the spice trade and is still used in perfumes, mulled wines and liqueurs, love potions, dental products and, stuck in an orange as pomade, an insect repellant.
Origin of Clove
A native of Indonesia and the Malacca Islands, it is an evergreen tree that grows to about 10 meters (30 feet) tall and has bright green leaves and nail-shaped rose-peach flower buds which turn, upon drying, a deep red brown. These are beaten from the tree and dried. It is commonly used in southern Asian countries. The Latin word `Clavus` means nail shaped, referring to the bud.
Properties of Clove oil
Clove oil has a warm, strong, spicy smell and the oil is colorless to pale yellow with a medium to watery viscosity. The therapeutic properties of clove oil are analgesic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, anti-neuralgic, carminative, anti-infectious, disinfectant, insecticide, stimulant, uterine and tonic.
Most common Uses
· Clove oil can be used for acne, bruises, burns and cuts, keeping infection at bay and as a pain reliever.
· It helps with toothache, mouth sores, rheumatism and arthritis.
· It is beneficial to the digestive system, effective against vomiting, diarrhea, flatulence, spasms and parasites, as well as bad breath.
· Clove oil is valuable for relieving respiratory problems, like bronchitis, asthma and tuberculosis.
· Placing a few drops of clove oil on a cotton ball and then placing the cotton ball in a linen cupboard will not only fragrance the cupboard, but will help to keep fish moths at bay.
· Clove oil also decreases the male sensitivity, as an aid in premature ejaculation.
Mixes well with: cardamom, cinnamon, lavender, ginger, orange, vanilla, rose,
clarv sage, bergamot, bay leaf, ylang ylang.
Warning: don`t use if inflammatory condition, hypertension is present.